I've moved! You can now find this blog at www.teachingthelittlepeople.com. Please bookmark this new site and come on over!

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Shape Bugs in Preschool

Before we left school for Spring Break, we spent a lot of time talking about things that start with the Letter B.  One reason for this is that  B was the letter that we were talking about.  The other reason for this is that this time of the year just lends itself to "B" things:  Bugs, Butterflies, Bunnies, and Baskets.

When talking about bugs, we did a lot of talking about how many body parts and legs bugs have, and how they're different from spiders and other non-bugs.   We tried our best to catch some bugs on the playground, but alas, we could not find any.

We did, however, make Shape Bugs.  I set out a bunch of different paper shapes, along with some glue, paper reinforcement stickers, sticky dots and markers.  I also accordion-folded some paper strips for legs.   When I introduced the center I talked to them about bugs having three body parts and six legs, but any number of eyes.  Then I let them at it.

When we were done, we had some wonderful bugs:






I love it when the Little People combine their own designs with the things that they're learning.  The result is the perfect mix of creativity and knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment